Salty and delicious and perfect for a rainy day or if you have the sniffles. Hope you get better soon, fictional reader.
- 2 packets dried udon noodles
- 4 C. chicken stock
- 2 large chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 tbsp. less sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. mirin
- ½ tsp. salt
- Green onions for garnish
- In a large pot of unsalted boiling water, cook udon until tender - 6 to 8 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water to remove excess starch, and set aside.
- Bring your chicken stock to a boil. While you're waiting, get some color on your chicken thighs by briefly frying them on each side for 1 to 2 minutes. To your stock, add chicken thighs, shallots, soy sauce, mirin, and salt.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid and boil steadily for about 10 minutes or until your chicken is thoroughly cooked. Sieve broth into a separate pot and set your cooked chicken aside.
- Divide udon between 2 bowls. Slice your chicken and place atop udon. Ladle with hot broth and garnish with green onions.
- Grab some chopsticks, forgo a spoon, and serve with a cold beer.